Monday 8 April 2013

National Grilled Cheese Month

What is it about being sick that makes us yearn for the comfort foods of our youth and our moms to spoil us. And of all things to be suffering with, an earache. If that doesn't scream " I want my mommy!" I don't know what does.  And why would the doctor prescribe ear drops instead of oral antibiotics for an adult? How inconvenient, especially since I have to put them in both ears, thankfully I have B to help out. Hate the feeling of the drops going in the ears, sure does bring back the memories of mom dropping the warm oil in my ears when I had earaches as a child.

So what do I crave when I'm sick? Well what is more quintessential as comfort food then the grilled cheese sandwich? Maybe a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup. But today, all I wanted was the sandwich.  Grilled cheese has come a long way since the days of my childhood. Artisanal bread, hundreds of varieties of cheese and all sorts of additives, some best left to the imagination. And while I have experimented with many combinations of each, I always come back to my favourite, the egg dipped grilled cheese, with a side dollop of ketchup for dipping. And this is what I had for breakfast this morning. 


B sticks to his favourite of white bread and Kraft (and they must be Kraft) Cheese Slices. From this he never wavers except to occasionally add a couple slices of bacon.

Now I shall lie on the couch, wrapped in my blankie with cotton stuffed in my ears and in lieu of cartoons I will watch the Food Network for the rest of the day






Egg Dipped Grilled Cheese




  • 1 Egg lightly beaten with a teaspoon of milk
  • Two slices of bread
  • Old Cheddar sliced about 1/8" - 1/4" inch thickness
  • 1 TBSP Butter
  1. Melt butter in heated frying pan
  2. Soak bread slices in egg mixture
  3. Place egg side down in pan and add cheese slices.
  4. Cover with second slice of bread.
  5. When first side is a golden brown flip the sandwich and finish cooking til cheese has melted.





No comments:

Post a Comment