So what do I crave when I'm sick? Well what is more quintessential as comfort food then the grilled cheese sandwich? Maybe a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup. But today, all I wanted was the sandwich. Grilled cheese has come a long way since the days of my childhood. Artisanal bread, hundreds of varieties of cheese and all sorts of additives, some best left to the imagination. And while I have experimented with many combinations of each, I always come back to my favourite, the egg dipped grilled cheese, with a side dollop of ketchup for dipping. And this is what I had for breakfast this morning.
B sticks to his favourite of white bread and Kraft (and they must be Kraft) Cheese Slices. From this he never wavers except to occasionally add a couple slices of bacon.
Now I shall lie on the couch, wrapped in my blankie with cotton stuffed in my ears and in lieu of cartoons I will watch the Food Network for the rest of the day
Egg Dipped Grilled Cheese
- 1 Egg lightly beaten with a teaspoon of milk
- Two slices of bread
- Old Cheddar sliced about 1/8" - 1/4" inch thickness
- 1 TBSP Butter
- Melt butter in heated frying pan
- Soak bread slices in egg mixture
- Place egg side down in pan and add cheese slices.
- Cover with second slice of bread.
- When first side is a golden brown flip the sandwich and finish cooking til cheese has melted.