Thus began my search for a healthier muffin, something with a little less fat and a little more fibre. Now I’m not claiming this is a replacement for a healthy breakfast but you’ll get some omega 3 fat, some antioxidants, they are filling and pretty darn tasty too. I can adjust the type of berries and seeds according to what I have on hand. I’ve been known to throw in some chocolate chips or switch our raisins for the cranberries.
· 1 egg· 1 cup unsweetened applesauce· 2/3 cup fat free plain yogurt· 2 Tbsp vegetable oil· 1 tsp vanilla extract· 1/3 cup packed brown sugar· 1/4 cup molasses
· 1 cup wheat bran· 1 cup all-purpose flour· 1/2 cup oat bran· 1/2 cup ground flax seed· 1 tsp baking soda· 1 tsp ground cinnamon· 1 tsp table salt
· 1/2 cup dried cranberries· 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries· ¼ cup sunflower seeds (shells removed)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- Mix together egg, applesauce, yogurt, brown sugar, molasses, oil & vanilla.
- In another bowl mix dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just blended.
- Fold in cranberries, blueberries and seeds.
- Fill muffin cups til not quite full and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 12 – 15 large muffins.