Friday 18 January 2013

MMMM MMM Breakfast Muffins

I was never much of a breakfast eater, I know, my bad.  For the longest time I’d just grab a large double double and a muffin or bagel at the drive through on my way to work.  When I couldn’t get a consistently decent cup of coffee at the drive through anymore, I started making my once-a-day coffee at home. So then I had to start making my own muffins. That was when it hit home as to how much fat was in those muffins I bought.

Thus began my search for a healthier muffin, something with a little less fat and a little more fibre.  Now I’m not claiming this is a replacement for a healthy breakfast but you’ll get some omega 3 fat, some antioxidants, they are filling and pretty darn tasty too. I can adjust the type of berries and seeds according to what I have on hand. I’ve been known to throw in some chocolate chips or switch our raisins for the cranberries.

Breakfast Muffins

  • ·         1 egg
    ·         1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    ·         2/3 cup fat free plain yogurt
    ·         2 Tbsp vegetable oil
    ·         1 tsp vanilla extract
    ·         1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    ·         1/4 cup molasses

  • ·         1 cup wheat bran
    ·         1 cup all-purpose flour
    ·         1/2 cup oat bran
    ·         1/2 cup ground flax seed
    ·         1 tsp baking soda
    ·         1 tsp ground cinnamon
    ·         1 tsp table salt

    Optional

    ·         1/2 cup dried cranberries
    ·         1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
    ·         ¼ cup sunflower seeds (shells removed)
  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Grease muffin tin or line with paper liners.
  3. Mix together egg, applesauce, yogurt, brown sugar, molasses, oil & vanilla.
  4. In another bowl mix dry ingredients.
  5. Add dry  ingredients to wet and stir until just blended.
  6. Fold in cranberries, blueberries and seeds.
  7. Fill muffin cups til not quite full and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. 

Makes 12 – 15 large muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment